City of Frankfort

Capital of Kentucky

Public Announcements

Thanksgiving Closings

Posted by Ramona Newman on Wed, 11/12/2014 - 10:22am

The City of Frankfort offices will be closed Thursday, November 27, 2014 and Friday, November 28, 2014 in observance of Thanksgiving. There will be NO bus services Thursday and limited bus service Friday. Friday’s bus schedule: SATURDAY ROUTE 9:00 a.m.-2:40 p.m. and J.A.R.C. SERVICE 8:30 a.m.-3:00 p.m. For more information on bus services please call 502-875-8565.

No Building Inspections October 20-22

Posted by Gary Muller on Fri, 10/17/2014 - 10:11am

Due to required State building code training - we will not be able to perform building inspections October 20th-22nd.    If you believe your project qualifies as an emergency situation, please contact the Planning & Building Codes Director at 502-545-0720

City of Frankfort seeks Historic Preservation Consultant - RFP now available

Posted by Gary Muller on Fri, 09/26/2014 - 9:45am

Professional Services

RFP #2O14-214001-70


The City of Frankfort, Department of Planning & Building Codes, is soliciting competitive, sealed responses from qualified Consultant firms for the purpose of developing a new historic design guidelines for the local Special Historic...

JLUS Implementation Committee sets Meeting

Posted by Gary Muller on Fri, 08/15/2014 - 11:11am

JLUS Implementation Committee will be meeting on 10-9-14 beginning at 5:30 p.m. at City Hall.  

For more information:

    Citizens of Franklin County - please contact Robert Hewitt at 502-875-8701

    Citizens of City of Frankfort - please contact Gary Muller at 502-352-2100

Temporary closure on US 127

Posted by Ramona Newman on Fri, 03/28/2014 - 10:37am

A section of US 127 (Wilkinson Boulevard) in Frankfort will be closed as part of construction to remove and replace the concrete pavement from West Broadway to Holmes Street.  Wilkinson Boulevard is scheduled for closure between West Broadway and Clinton Street beginning Monday, March 31 at 9:00 a.m. The roadway will be closed for approximately three weeks while contract crews complete pavement repairs in this area before the Frankfort Farmers Market opens in mid-April. The date and duration of this work may be adjusted if inclement weather or other unforeseen delays occur.  Dial 511 or log on to for the latest in traffic and travel information in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. You can also get traffic information for the District 5 counties at

Construction to begin on US 127 in Franklin County

Posted by on Tue, 02/18/2014 - 2:17pm


Louisville, KY (February 18, 2014) - The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet (KYTC) recently awarded a contract for roadway improvements to US 127 (Wilkinson Boulevard) in Franklin County.  The $8.9 million project will involve the removal and replacement of the concrete pavement on US 127 from West Broadway to Holmes Street (mile point 8.6 to 10.5).  The construction work will also address drainage issues in the area.


“This project will provide a much smoother riding surface for motorists traveling on Wilkinson Boulevard,” stated Matt Bullock, Chief District Engineer for the Department of Highways District 5 Office in Louisville.  “The original concrete lanes were constructed in the early 1970’s and while some repairs have been made through the years, this pavement has exceeded its useful life.”


Work is scheduled to begin this week with the contractor cleaning culverts and making preparation for drain pipe replacement.  Lane closures are possible and the speed limit in the work zone has been reduced to 35 MPH.


The pavement work is scheduled to begin in mid-March and at that time US 127 will be reduced to one lane in each direction.  Traffic will be shifted to the southbound lanes while crews replace the pavement in the northbound lanes.  Once that phase of work is complete, traffic will use the newly paved northbound lanes while work is performed in the southbound lanes. 


KYTC has...

Temporary Signs or Banners for commercial property - what is allowed?

Posted by Gary Muller on Thu, 11/07/2013 - 10:30am

 How many, how long, and where can businesses place temporary signs or banners?   

It is always best to contact the Planning Office at 502-352-2094 before buying or installing any signs (temporary or not).    We are here to help you!

In general - Temporary banners or other temporary signs are permitted only for commercial, office and industrial uses and shall have only one temporary sign on the same property at no larger than 32 sq.ft..   No temporary sign shall be erected on a premise for a cumulative total of more than sixty (60) days per calendar year. Any applicant that proposes to maintain the same banner/ temporary sign for a period greater than sixty (60) days per calendar year shall obtain approval from the Planning Commission.

So does this mean you only get one sign for 60 days a year on your property?- NO.   It means the exact same sign cannot remain longer than 60 days - you can install one, then replace it with a similar or different sign, and so on.  But if you desire to keep the same temporary/banner sign for more than 60 days, then you need to get Planning Commission approval. 

So  I can only have 1 temporary banner or sign on my property at a time? - YES    (However, if a temporary sign is placed where it is not visible from the public right-of-way, staff can allow other temporary signs on the site (these are often 1 or...

Election Campaign signs - know what is allowed before you buy

Posted by Gary Muller on Mon, 10/21/2013 - 2:23pm

What are the requirements for political /campaign signs?

All properties may display political/campaign sign(s) – other than governmentally owned properties – provided the following requirements are satisfied:

  1. Sign(s) shall NOT be allowed within or over any public right-of-way;
  2. Signs shall NOT be attached to trees, utility poles, or fences.
  3. Sign(s) shall not be located to obstruct the vision of pedestrians, cyclists, or motorists traveling on or entering public streets;
  4. Signs shall not exceed 32 square feet in size.
  5. Signs shall not exceed six (6) feet in height.
  6. Sign(s) shall be removed within 5 days after the election-day of voting;
  7. Written consent of the owner should be obtained before installing the sign;
  8. No fee or permit is required.

How are these requirements enforced?

  1. Any sign found within a public right-of-...

How to Qualify and Apply for City of Frankfort Local Vendor Preference Status

Posted by Steve Dawson on Wed, 09/25/2013 - 12:35pm


Local businesses can qualify for  local preference status with the City of Frankfort, when a business meets the requirements of City of Frankfort Ordinances (see the City of Frankfort website) and maintains a current local preference application on file with the Finance Purchasing Agent.

The criteria for "local preference status" is the following:

  • Business must maintain an office or place of business located within Frankfort or Franklin County, and
  • Business must maintain a current occupational license as required by the City of Frankfort or Franklin County and have filed an occupational license fee return in the name of such business for two (2) years immediately preceding the year in which the local preference is to be awarded, and
  • Business has been certified as a local business by the Finance Purchasing Agent

Applications for the local preference status are available on the City of Frankfort Web-Site. Questions
concerning the local preference status should be addressed to the City’s Finance Department at
(502) 875-8500.

Local Business Preference Application Form

Chapter 38: City Policies

Online Reporting Now Available

Posted by Jeff Abrams on Tue, 09/24/2013 - 2:07pm


Frankfort PD is pleased to announce the Citizen Online Reporting System.  The System is available to residents of Frankfort as an option to report incidents to the Frankfort Police Department.

NOTE:  If your situation is an emergency ( a life or death situation or a crime in progress) immediately call 911

Online reporting is available for the following incident types:

  • Harassment/Harassing Communications
  • Fraud Use Credit/Debit Card Under $500 Within 6 Months
  • Thefts Under $500
  • Criminal Mischief/Vandalism Under $1,000
  • Lost or Damaged Property

To use the system, you will create an account to file your first report.  Save the account information for future use and to print draft copies of your report for free.  If you choose, you can obtain an official copy of the report via the State of Kentucky's BuyCrime website after the report review process has occurred.

It is a crime to make a false police report.

Click Here for additional information regarding Citizen Online Reporting...


Subscribe to