Old State Capitol Building: This stone building, designed by Gideon Shryock in the Greek Revival style, was the state capitol from 1829 to 1909.
Liberty Hall Historic Site: Liberty Hall is a mansion in the Georgian style. It was built about 1796 by John Brown, a member of the Continental Congress and one of Kentucky's first two U.S. senators. The Liberty Hall Historic Site also contains the Orlando Brown House, which was built around 1835 and was designed by Gideon Shryock, who also designed the Old State Capitol building.
Berry Hill Mansion: This fine stone mansion in the Georgian Revival style overlooks the city. It was built in 1900 by distiller George Franklin Berry and features a notable and elaborate Gothic Revival music room with a large cathedral organ. Berry Hill currently houses state government, but the first floor is available for self-guided tours.
Frankfort Cemetery and Daniel Boone's grave: The Frankfort Cemetery offers scenic views of Frankfort, and (among others) a grave that may contain the remains of pioneer Daniel Boone. Boone died in Missouri in 1820 and was buried there. In 1845, bones thought to be those of Boone and his wife were disinterred and then ceremoniously reburied in Frankfort. The true identity of the remains has long been a matter of some dispute.
Distilleries: The production of distilled spirits has been an important part of Kentucky's economy since the Commonwealth's earliest days. The era of prohibition (1920 - 1933) closed most distilleries in the country. The distillery now known as Buffalo Trace was the only one in Kentucky permitted to continue operations "for medicinal purposes." There has been a working distillery at that site since 1787. Buffalo Trace offers public tours of its distillery.
Rebecca-Ruth candy factory tours: The Rebecca Ruth company was founded in 1919 by Ruth Hanly (Booe) and Rebecca Gooch. In the 1930s, the company invented and perfected the bourbon ball. The company offers tours of its candy factory in South Frankfort.
The Kentucky Historical Society operates a museum at the Thomas D. Clark Center for Kentucky History, and also maintains the Old Capitol and Military History Museum (in the building that was formerly the state arsenal).
Capitol and Floral Clock: The capitol was built 1905 - 1909, and dedicated June 1, 1910. The Capitol Annex was built 1950-1952. The famous Floral Clock on the lawn of the Capitol Annex was built in 1961, a project of the state and the Garden Club of Kentucky.
Governor's Mansion: Construction of the Beaux-Arts style governor's mansion was completed in 1914.
Fort Hill Civil War Site: The Frankfort Parks and Recreation Department operates the Leslie Morris Park at Fort Hill, overlooking Frankfort from the north. In 1864, local militia soldiers repulsed an attack on Frankfort by Confederate cavalry raiders.
Kentucky Vietnam Veterans Memorial is located near the state Department of Libraries and Archives. The memorial is in the form of a large sundial in remembrance of the 1,100 Kentuckians listed on the granite stones.