Planning and Building Codes Department
The Planning & Building Codes Department functions to serve the citizens and visitors of the City of Frankfort. We are located in City Hall at 315 West Second Street, left entrance at front of building.
The Planning staff is responsible for determining immediate and long-term land use patterns through administration of the zoning ordinance and the Comprehensive Plan, which provides the overall growth management framework to guide and shape the community's development. Additionally, the staff provides technical services and advice to property owners and developers, and maintains a record of developmental programs and projects. The City's three historic districts fall within the realm of the staff's review.
The Building Codes staff works with property owners on a day-to-day basis to ensure that minimum construction, maintenance, and repair standards are met for all existing and proposed structures throughout the community. Their responsibilities include conducting scheduled construction inspections and periodic inspections of rental properties, as well as monitoring such issues as junk cars, weeds and accumulations of trash & debris. The Building Codes staff also handles complaints originating from tenants, neighbors and/or other concerned citizens.
We are the Department to call, fax, e-mail, or meet with for issues concerning:
- Zoning: What can I do with my property; What are my setbacks, What uses are allowed, Where can I place my pool; How high can I build; Where can I place my fence; etc.
- Addresses: Who and how are addresses assigned; Where should my address be located on my home or business, etc.
- Planning: What is required to build a new home, addition, or business; What is the process and application for development review; How long does it take to get an approval; etc.
- Regulatory: What are the City's Codes or regulations concerning historic buildings, parking, variances, conditional uses, waivers, home occupations, flood zone determinations, ect.?; What is the Comprehensive Policy Plan; How many units am I allowed; How many lots can I create; etc.
- Building/Code Enforcement: How Do I set up a home inspection; What is needed for a building permit; How do I get an electrical inspection for my home/business; How tall can my grass grow; My neighbor has unregistered vehicles in their driveway; How can I bring my home into compliance; What is required to get a certificate of occupancy; Who is on the Code Enforcement Board and when do they meet; etc.
If you have similar questions or issues, please do not hesitate to call, fax, e-mail, or schedule a meeting with one of us, so that we may assist you.
Here is the State Building Housing and Construction web site link: http://dhbc.ky.gov