Paramedic Class - 2019 Applicants
Frankfort Fire & EMS: Paramedic Class 2019
Frankfort Fire and EMS’s Paramedic Program is a certificate program only. College credit, up to 38 hours, will be awarded upon successful completion and acquisition of your National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT) paramedic certificate and all requirements set-forth by Gateway Community and Technical College.
Frankfort Fire and EMS’s Paramedic Program will begin March 26, 2019. The classes will be held on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 0900-1600. They will be held in the City of Frankfort Training Center, 105 Bridge Street, in Frankfort. Didactic and Clinical rotations tentatively will be completed May 1, 2020. Capstone Field Internship should be completed within six (6) months from classroom graduation.
The cost of the Program is $6000.00.
The tuition shall include:
- All course text books
- ACLS, ITLS, and PALS certification and card Fees
- Platinum Student account Fees
- Two (2) Program Polo Shirts
- 10 Panel Drug Screen
- Course ID card
- Hospital specific required background check
- Student search on the OIG-HHS Exclusion Database and the United States General Services Administration Exclusion Database
The tuition will NOT include:
- National Registry testing fees
- State testing fees
- State Background checks
- Initial State licensure fee
- Any required immunizations
- Pre-course physical
- Liability Insurance
- Course extension/remediation or tutoring fees
Upon notification of acceptance students will be required to furnish a non-refundable deposit of one half (1/2) of the tuition with a completed application packet by February 15, 2019. The remaining tuition may be paid in installments; however, full course tuition must be paid in full prior to August 6, 2019. Students who fail to settle financial obligation by the deadline will be allowed to continue to attend didactic course work only, all clinical/field experience and field internships will be suspended until student financial obligations are fulfilled. If obligations remain unsatisfied by the end of the didactic portion of the class, the student will be removed from the program. No re-admittance will be allowed.
Students who voluntarily withdraw from the program, prior to August 6, 2019, may be subject to receiving a tuition refund.
Tuition refunds (total tuition paid minus (-) the non-refundable deposit of one half (1/2) of the tuition) will be prorated monthly until August 6, 2019. Following this date, all monies paid to the program will be forfeited and students will not receive any tuition refund.
In order to be eligible for entry into this course, the student must be eighteen years old, and have the following complete and on file: Starred items are needed immediately for consideration into the class. (No later than February 15, 2019).
- A background check from every state of residence in the last five years at time of application to test for paramedicine.
- This will be accomplished through KBEMS web site.
- High School Diploma or GED **
- Current Kentucky EMT card ** (If you are a National Registry EMT, you can apply to become a Kentucky certified EMT. If you do not hold a National Registry or KY EMT certification, you must obtain these for admittance into class)
- Current American Heart Association Healthcare Provider card **
- Kentucky Driver’s License **
- Physical examination within last 6 months to include a current TB skin **
- Health record verification of: (Most of these are on your baby shot record)
These will be required BEFORE you can begin any clinical rotations.
- Three Hepatitis B injections or a hepatitis B antibody titer. You may choose to sign a waiver for these.
- Two MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) injections or MMR titers
- Physician signed verification of chicken pox or a chicken pox titer (varicella titer) or varicella immunization
- Current Tdap immunization
- Flu shot if applicable
- Hepatitis A or waiver
Entry Testing Process for this Program:
- Must complete a TABE test at own cost. Attached is an information sheet. Results are due by February 15, 2019. A passing score at ninth grade level in all categories is required.
- Sit for a computer-generated examination of basic EMT knowledge at the City of Frankfort Safety Building, 300 West Second Street. A passing score of 70% is required. Optional Dates are December 5th or 6th at 0900. Please schedule this date by emailing me at email@example.com or calling me at 502-682-7028. (Point score added into total score).
- Perform a satisfactory trauma assessment in accordance with the enclosed National Registry Evaluation Sheets. This will be administered on December 17 or 18 at 105 Bridge Street Please schedule this date as well. (Point score added into total score)
- Sit for an Interview with the Selection Committee. This is TBA and will be early January 2019.
Upon completion of the admission components/examinations, each candidate’s score shall be combined to create a total score. An eligibility list, based upon total score from highest to lowest, will be compiled with the top 20 applicants receiving an invite to attend the program. The mission of this Program is to offer an educational experience for EMS and Fire Services. Therefore, sponsored candidates (those candidates whereby the agency will be paying the tuition and insurance) will be given priority over individuals. Of the twenty slots, 7 are reserved for FFEMS candidates leaving 13 open slots.
Number of applicants will be limited, therefore, notify this office as soon as possible of your intent to test for entry.
A copy of the Course Catalog and the policies is available for your review if you need any further information regarding this class. Upon acceptance, a copy will be distributed to you.
Thank you for taking the time to consider becoming a paramedic with Frankfort Fire and EMS. We look forward to working with you.
Barbara Sauter, RN BSN
Frankfort Paramedic Training Program